Saturday, March 7, 2020

Commercial Drivers License Guide Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire

Commercial Drivers License Guide Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire If you live in Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire, check this round up of state guidelines and see what you’ll need to do to be certified to drive safely behind the wheel of a commercial rig!  If you want to learn about earning a CDL at other states, we have put together a comprehensive guide on how to get a commercial driver’s license in every state of the country. MaineTo obtain a CDL:You must have a valid noncommercial license from your current stateYour license cannot be under suspension or revokedYou must not have been convicted of a disqualifying crime in the last 5 years.You can get an application from any Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles office or online.Written and Skills ExamsYou  will schedule separate appointments for your written and skills exams. You will receive a notice with the date, location, and time for your written test, which will include additional testing for each endorsement you hope to obtain.On your testing day, you must  take an eye exam. If   you successfully pass the written and eye exams, you’ll receive a learner’s permit and a skills exam request card.You must self-certify your type of vehicle operation with the Maine BMV in one of the following driving categories:Non-Excepted InterstateExcepted InterstateNon-Excepted IntrastateExcepted IntrastateIf you choose Non-Excepted Interstate, you must provide the BMV with a federal medical certificate.New HampshireDrivers who currently hold a valid New Hampshire operator’s license and wish to add commercial classifications may appear at any DMV office between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to begin testing. On that day, you must bring:A current valid New Hampshire licenseAn  applicationA valid, up-to-date  medical cardEvery applicant is required to pass a  vision test and the CDL General Knowledge Test. Based on the desired  classifications and endorsements, you will be asked to take additional knowledge tests. Make sure you know everyth ing you will have to take before you arrive on your testing day.Once you have passed your  required knowledge tests, you will schedule a  road skills test for the appropriate endorsements and classifications.VermontRequirementsYou must be at least 18 years old and hold a valid Vermont Class D Operator’s License to obtain a Commercial Learner’s Permit.You must be at least 18 years old to obtain a CDL and operate a commercial vehicle within Vermont (Intrastate commerce).You must be at least 21 years old to operate a commercial motor vehicle between Vermont and another state (Interstate commerce).You must be 18 years old to obtain the Hazardous Materials Endorsement for Intrastate commerce and 21 years of age to obtain the Hazardous Materials Endorsement for Interstate commerce.What to BringAll Driver Licenses or Learner Permits issued to you by any stateBirth certificateProof of residencyProof of legal presence, if applicableSocial Security NumberDepartment of Transp ortation (DOT) Medical Card, if applicableThe vehicle used for the skills test must have a valid inspection sticker and meet all inspection requirementsYou must also file for a CDL Medical Self-Certification.Good luck!